Tuesday, October 1, 2013

1st Writing Assignment

Writing Exercises

  • Describe an event that happened in your family—better to focus on something small that happened in a short time frame. But here’s the catch: write about that event only in terms of the colors, or the sounds, or the smells, or the textures . . . you get the idea. Choose one physical sense and focus on it to tell this little story.
Sunday I watched my son clean his outside club house/van/room on a sun filled fall afternoon and was amazed at the number of friends he was able to enlist in his efforts.  Not being part of the group doing the cleaning, I was able to sit back and watch the blue of the sky disappearing in and out of the different levels of fluffy white clouds.  The sunbeams varying in different shades of yellow streamed through any openings in the clouds enveloping with warm colors first this person and then another as they continued cleaning inside and out.   The sound of voices talking about what to bring out next, where do you want it, keep it or trash it would draw my attention back down to the green rolling carpet of the backyard being covered with furniture, rugs, and other household items. 
Soon the smell of the trash bags over came the natural earthy smell of freshly turned peanuts in the surrounding fields.  Now I understood the urgency of this cleaning.  The smells coming from the bags were strong and overpowering.  While trying not to interfere or say anything derogatory about the strong odor, I tried to figure out what could have caused this stench.  My son works hard but comes in to shower frequently so it could not be that.  Can’t be from his work clothes or even his shoes as he brings clothes in to be washed each week and air his shoes out each night.  Even week old gym clothes wouldn’t smell this bad. 
Then as if in answer to my question out came tumbling three multi brown, white and black four legged blurs tumbling over each other and everyone’s feet.  Shoe strings and pant legs were being pulled on, voices raised in laughter as others tripped over these chubby little balls of fur just begging to be picked up, cuddled and loved on.
When my son and his friends noticed me next I was sitting back down in my chair after having put a sign in our front yard that read:  FREE PUPPIES.

  • Drink a beverage you don’t usually drink: if you’re not a coffee drinker, try a cup, just a few sips. Or, if you haven’t had lemonade in years, have some now. Notice any associations you make with the flavor; follow your thoughts and emotions as you allow the flavor to linger. Write whatever comes to mind.

I came in from a community outdoor concert and was chilled to the bone. Wanting to warm up quickly, I decided it was time for the first cup of hot chocolate of the year.  I put the kettle on to warm the water and went to change clothes while thinking how good this was going to be, rich milk chocolate with little marshmallows.   When I want to pamper myself, I take out my favorite blue rose china cup and saucer.  My mother and I bought this set of china to put in my hope chest many years ago when I was still in high school.  I don’t like to think of how many years ago and since I keep the china put up for special occasions it doesn’t get much use; except on days like today when I want to pamper myself.  Some days I use it for hot tea but today it will be hot milk chocolate with the little tiny marshmallows that float on the top and melt in your mouth as you sip that warm relaxing light brown concoction of chocolate.  I can hardly wait to hear the tea pot whistle as I brush my hair and remember back to when I use to get a mug of hot chocolate when I would come back from having played outside in the snow as a child.  Snow forts, snowball fights, snowmen building would have taken up the day until it was just too cold outside to continue playing and then I would come inside to that hot, steam rising, melted marshmallows piled high, cup of hot chocolate.  I don’t live in a part of the country where we get all that snow now but the memories are still strong of those childhood days.  Wait, what do I hear, got to go the tea pot and hot chocolate are calling me.

  • Make a short list of people who have been significant in your life. Now meditate on each person, and choose a scent that you believe fits that person. It doesn’t have to make rational sense; this has more to do with your intuitive and emotional knowledge.
Mom- Charlie perfume
Grandma Kasper - baking bread
Mrs. Walker - roses
Mary Hugh - wet earth 
Kieran - cleaners
Richard Daugherty - burgundy wine

Prayer

Creator of the universe—and creator of me—please wake up my senses so that I can experience life on this planet more fully and vividly.

No comments:

Post a Comment